By Angelle Cortes
On July 10, an email was sent to all employees at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Campus Recreation informing that the facilities, programs and services are set to reopen August 3.
“Upon reopening, Campus Recreation will adhere to guidelines and expectations set by state and national public health officials,” said Campus Recreation in an email
The guidelines Campus Recreation will implement are personal protective equipment for all occupants to be place over the nose and mouth whenever not exercising, handwashing, and sanitization of spaces by users and staff.
To help in following the guidelines, Campus Recreation plans to add the following:
- Separate entry and exit points to the Activities and Recreation Center
- Educational signage, markers, and social media
- Increased sanitation stations in spaces
- Minimized face to face interactions and simultaneous shared work spaces as much as possible
- Hygiene training for full and part-time staff
The ARC will be the only facility open to the public while Campus Recreation Center East will be closed for academic and COVID-19 testing purposes.
Starting August 3 and continuing until August 17, the ARC will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and closed on weekends.
From August 18 until the end of the semester, the ARC will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. Then 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, based on university attendance.
Campus Recreation will be opening in several stages with adjusted hours of operations, facility usage, programs, and services.
Programs and services available will change as the Centers reopen, and will be rolled back out in stages. These include:
- Stage 1 – August 3 through August 17
- Cardio & Strength equipment, including track
- Stage 2 – August 17 through August 24
- Physical Therapy, Group Fitness, Bike Center, Multipurpose spaces
- Event & Rental requests will be accepted based on the activity and how it fits the respective phases
- Stage 3 – August 24 through August 31
- Pool, Gym activities, outdoor activities (Outdoor Center Playfields, Complex, Grove), Racquet sports, Combat Room, Leadership Programs, Climbing Wall, Adventure Rec Camping Equipment, Intramural Sports, Club Sports, Community Programs, Ice Area
- Fall Semester (exact date to be decided)
- Climbing Wall, Adventure Rec Camping Equipment, Intramurals, Club Sports, Community Programs, Ice Arena
- Other notes
- No equipment rental until further notice
Campus Recreation will look closely to monitor the programs and will determine the best direction based on increased safety measures that are effective and sustainable, adequate staff levels are maintained, and overall capacity is manageable.
“We are excited to welcome you all back,” said Campus Recreation.
Photo courtesy of Illinois Campus Recreation